The observatory had originally only the „Eastern” Dome, the „Main and Western Domes” were built in 1930. The present form got the observatory after the great reconstruction in the half of the seventies and in 1976 was again re-opened to the public. Since 1979 is the observatory part of the company |Observatories and Planetariums of Prague. Except the Stefánik observatory and the Planetarium in Stromovka at Praha 7 belongs to this complex of buildings also a minor Observatory in Praha 8 Ďáblice and a Joint Centre in České Budějovice – The Kopernik Dome at the Kleť hill at Český Krumlov. Main aim of the observatory is to popularize the astronomy and other nature sciences. The most interesting what the Observatory can offer is the public observation of the day and night skyscape, that takes place in the fair weather during the whole year and is accompanied with the interpretation of the observatory staff. In front of the Observatory there was in August 1994 dedicated the monument of the Czechoslovak astronomer, politician and pilot Milan Rostislav Štefánik, after which is the Observatory got its name. Next to the monument there is the upper, Terminus Station of the cable railway.