St. Martin Church was built in 1178 – 1187 in the settlement Újezd, which extended then in this area. After the church had been dedicated to St. Martin, the settlement was called Újezd of St. Martin. When the Old Town walls were built in the first half of the 13th century.
The south wall of the church fit tightly to the town walls (therefore the name); in its neighbourhood there was a town gate, which was called St. Martin Gate. The original Romanesque church had one nave, which has been preserved in the present nave with many architectonic Romanesque elements. Interior of the church was probably decorated with Romanesque wall paintings.
After 1350, during the reign of Charles IV, the church underwent the Gothic reconstruction. Between 1360 and 1370 the presbyterium got a groined vault which is said to be one of the oldest of this kind in our lands. The groins of the vault rise from a bracket decorated with masks, the coping stones are decorated with rose and star. Such was the appearance of the church in 1414, when in the end of October the local pastor Jan from Hradec incited by M. Jakoubek from Stříbro for the first time served the altar sacrament in both kinds to laymen. In the following years the chalice became the symbol of the Hussite revolution.
The church gained its present shape in the late Gothic reconstruction. This went on gradually and was finished in 1488, stimulated and sponsored by the utraquist bourgeois Holec family from Květnice.
The St. Martin in the Wall Church burned down in 1678; the upper part of the tower was rebuilt after the fire. In 1779 there has been another major reconstruction, the Baroque portal on the north side (to the street). Shortly after that, in 1784, the church was made void and was turned into a warehouse, flats and shops. In 1904 the Prague municipality bought the church and in 1905–6 reconstructed it according to the plans of Kamil Hilbert. At that time there were Neo-Renaissance gables added to the tower which already bore the coat of arms of the Old Town.
St. Martin has now been restored to its original splendour. Aside from Sunday worship, it only opens for classical concerts. The excellent acoustics of the church and the historic setting make these events well worth attending.
During the winter the the church is heated, but we advise to wear warm clothing when you go to the concert in winter time.