The history of the Old Royal Palace is a vast one. The Old Royal Palace grew and gradually gained its present appearance from the time of its founding in the late 9th century. In the early 12th century, Prince Sobeslav converted the original wooden building with a stone foundation wall into a stone Romanesque palace. Today, remainders of the building have been preserved. As well as the renovations, additions have been made. On the eastern side of the palace, the All Saints’ Chapel was consecrated in 1185.
In the first half of the 14th century, Charles IV had a Gothic palace with a vaulted interior for state purposes as well as a band of arcades on its northern side built on the site of the Romanesque building. During the reign of his son, Wenceslas IV, two wings were added and All Saints’ Chapel was reconstructed. The palace was deserted for almost a century during the turmoil of the 15th century. After 1483 the king, Vladislav Jagiello, returned to Prague Castle and commenced the last large-scale reconstruction of the palace. The Vladislav Hall was added to the Prague Castle. During the designing, the architect Benedikt Ried, combined the art of the Late Gothic with elements of the newly arriving Renaissance style. The perpendicular palace wing named after Vladislav’s son, Ludvik, is also the work of B. Ried.
After the succession to the Bohemian throne of the Habsburgs, the interiors of the Old Royal Palace was used for coronation festivities as well as conference rooms, offices and depositories. In the south part of the castle grounds, new living quarters were built. The Diet Church and All Saints’ Church were rebuilt after the fire of 1541.
In the 18th century, The Theresian Wing originated in the course of the reconstruction of the Castle. During the 20th century it has been subjected to several reconstructions. In 1993 it was adapted for an exhibition of creative art.