The Municipal House was built in 1905-1912 At its decoration took part the most famous Czech painters and sculptors of the beginning of the 20th century: Mikoláš Aleš, Max Švabinský, František Ženíšek, Josef Václav Myslbek, Alfons Mucha, Jan Preisler and other.
The facade is decorated by the semi-circular mosaic made on the motive from Karel Špillar.
In the building there are several halls, the largest one is the Smetana Hall for 1200 spectators, among others there took part the concerts of the Prague Spring and also the organ concerts. The other halls are the Grégr hall, Sladkovský hall, Riegr and Palacký hall and the Lord Mayors stateroom. The halls are used also for exhibitions and other cultural events.